On May 13, 1917, three children from Aljustrel, Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta were tending their flocks in the Cova da Iria, in Fatima. On that day, around midday, while they were praying the Rosary, Our Lady appeared to them on top of a small holm oak tree. In the following months, up to and including October, the Lady would appear again to the three little shepherds, also on the 13th, except in the month of August, which was on the 19th.
On October 13, with about 70 thousand people present in the Cova da Iria, Our Lady appeared again and asked that a chapel be built on that spot in her honor, the current Little Chapel of the Apparitions of the Shrine of Fatima. Since then, because it receives millions of pilgrims every year, it has been given the name “The Altar of the World”, one of the largest Marian sanctuaries in the world.
Today, day of Our Lady of Fátima, many faithful places their prayers to Our Lady of the White Robe, whether they are in Portugal or in the Portuguese communities, where devotion is not forgotten by emigrants and their descendants.