By António Pedro Costa
Throughout this year of 2018, the Correio dos Açores weekly published a section called “Conversations on Sunday”, in which it highlighted a figure of our society, in order to try to emphasize some important areas of our daily life, culture, sports, leisure and economy, showing many successes of Azoreans, personalities residing in these islands or living in any of the World matches.
Michael Benevides, who was born in São Miguel and emigrated with his parents at age 2, to Fall River and today has transformed his father’s wholesale business, Fernandes Benevides, into an internationally renowned gourmet supermarket, the glamorous Portugalia Marketplace in the commercial landscape of the United States.
The brand and the history of the company that his father created and that he was very fond of shows the exemplary way in which the testimony of a generation of Azorean emigrants to the generation of Portuguese Luso-descendants of great success that ascend in a great way to the levels of great magnates of American society.
Correio dos Açores, December 30th, 2018, p.22
- Seminar “The Madeira and Azorean emigration to Hawaii. Contributions for the study. “
- Portugal wants to attract more teenagers of emigrants to higher education
- Azores and Santa Catarina highlight education and culture in strengthening the Azorean identity
- Loquat liqueur from “Cooperativa Celeiro da Terra” wins silver medal in national competition
- Azores Government promotes photography contest in the diaspora