The Carnival dances of Terceira island will soon be integrated in the inventory of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Portugal, according to the regional direction of the Azores Culture.”This process is already in its final version to be recognized and authorized to be part of this national inventory.The only question that is pending is the opinions of the two municipal councils of Terceira Island,” said the Regional Director of Culture, Susana Goulart Costa .
The Municipality of Angra do Heroísmo has already given a positive opinion to the integration of the popular theater manifestations in the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Portugal.
According to Guido Teles, the approval of this request will be “essential” for a possible candidacy for the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
“Carnival dances and comedies are undoubtedly a living testimony to the Portuguese cultural diversity, which resulted from the many contacts and exchanges that were made with people from around the world,” he said.
Source: Diário de notícias , March 2, 2019
- Luso-American Foundation wants to boost scientific cooperation with the Azores
- Seminar “The Madeira and Azorean emigration to Hawaii. Contributions for the study. “
- Portugal wants to attract more teenagers of emigrants to higher education
- Azores and Santa Catarina highlight education and culture in strengthening the Azorean identity
- Loquat liqueur from “Cooperativa Celeiro da Terra” wins silver medal in national competition