East Providence, one of the cities where a large part of the Azorean community resides in the state of Rhode Island, has the possibility to elect, for the first time in direct vote, a candidate of portuguese origin, Bob Silva, to the place of Mayor (President of the City Hall). Robert da Silva has deputy experience with State House: he is captain / inspector of Pawtucket police. It is well seen and accepted by the community, specifically in East Providence.
Bob Silva has an opponent, lawyer James Russo, but all predictions give the portuguese candidate victory. It is recalled that East Providence is Sister City with Ribeira Grande in S. Miguel.
Exclusive Portuguese Times
Diário dos Açores Newspaper, November 7th, 2018, p.3
- Micaelense teaches music in China
- Feast of São Martinho of the House of the Azores of Ontario
- There is “much more interest” in learning Portuguese in California
- From the photograph of an Azorean was born the book “The Tenth Island”
- 13th Azorean Cultural Meeting “Azorean commercial occupation in the urban space of Rio de Janeiro”