East Providence, one of the cities where a large part of the Azorean community resides in the state of Rhode Island, has the possibility to elect, for the first time in direct vote, a candidate of portuguese origin, Bob Silva, to the place of Mayor (President of the City Hall). Robert da Silva has deputy experience with State House: he is captain / inspector of Pawtucket police. It is well seen and accepted by the community, specifically in East Providence.
Bob Silva has an opponent, lawyer James Russo, but all predictions give the portuguese candidate victory. It is recalled that East Providence is Sister City with Ribeira Grande in S. Miguel.
Exclusive Portuguese Times
Diário dos Açores Newspaper, November 7th, 2018, p.3
- “Absolute” national debut of the documentary “Portuguese in Hawaii” scheduled for April 27 in Madeira
- Azores Trail Run has already attracted 1,000 foreigners to the Azores
- Photographer Pete Souza visits the Azores
- Archipelago was dubbed “The Atlantic Hawaii”
- Azorean presence in Hawaii is a reason for “pride”